How to promote free software

Wim De Smet fragmeat at yucom.be
Sun Dec 1 11:09:16 UTC 2002

Hi,

On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 04:17:21 -0500
Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

> The best thing you can do for free software in Europe now at the
> political level is to fight against software patents as hard as you
> possibly can.  If we win that fight, free software should have a good
> future in Europe.  If we lose, we will face difficulties everywhere.

I think we definitely got a message out at the european parliament recently. Although I do feel that most parties will be moving to harmonize with the US markets, no matter what we tell them. Off course we must try to stop swpatents in europe, and at a governmental level we can still slow down implementation if the directive _does_ pass. Great speech there on tuesday btw, I much enjoyed listening to it. :-)

greets,
Wim