MP3 Issue

Eike Lange eike.lange at uni-essen.de
Wed Aug 28 11:24:41 UTC 2002

Hi!

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:43:29AM +0100, Martyn Ranyard wrote:
> Thompson and Fraunhoffer have a patent (at least in the US) that covers the
> MP3 algorithm.  Is it enforcable outside the US?
> Fraunhoffer are a German company - does Germany allow Software and
> Algorithm patents?

It seems, it's more a point of European law, which is actually
discordant in this point. We have 30.000 softwarepatents in Europe and
they are valid, AFAIK.

Please have a look at
  http://swpat.ffii.org

Please write to your European representatives and ask him to say "NO!"
to softwarepatents.

Eike

--
http://adele.gerwinski.de/~eike/