MP3 Issue

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Wed Aug 28 09:43:29 UTC 2002

As reported in slashdot recently (
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/08/27/1626241.shtml?tid=155 ) and being
discussed all over the place, I am writing to all three kind-of-appropriate
lists hoping to get an educated guess on the following points :

Thompson and Fraunhoffer have a patent (at least in the US) that covers the
MP3 algorithm.  Is it enforcable outside the US?
Fraunhoffer are a German company - does Germany allow Software and
Algorithm patents?
Is anyone talking to them about Free Software and how it is unreasonable to
expect Free Software creators to pay the royalty-free cost and an admin
nightmare to pay the per-unit cost?  Are they getting anywhere?

PS, fsfe-law and discussion at fsfeurope.org - I am not subscribed to these
lists, so please cc me in, or the FSFE-UK list.

-
Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate

jabber - joran at amessage.de