is it a GPL violation or not ?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sat Aug 24 19:54:47 UTC 2002

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 08:59:50PM +0200, Frank Heckenbach wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>
> > If they only distribute their part (under that non-free license
> > you've stated) then they do not immedeatly violate the GNU GPL.
> > However nobody is allowed to link it to your library.
>
> They are allowed to link it, but not to distribute the result.

Thanks to all who answered so far.

In fact what they said to me when we talked about it some months ago
is that there's no problem since they never distribute software
they have not written, i.e. they only distribute their software, and
never distribute mine.

If I understand correctly what you wrote, they can distribute their
software under their non-free license, but nobody is legally allowed
to run it since they can't link to my library which is absolutely
needed technically.

Does any of you know how to obtain a clear advice from the FSF
on this case ?

(I'm the only copyright holder, not the FSF)

Thanks in advance

Jerome Alet