arch, was Re: SourceForge has drifted away

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Aug 14 14:27:38 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 07:26:37PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Once again, I wonder how much assistance should be given to failing Free
> Software businesses,

This depends on how interested you are in keeping it alive.
If you are intested in keeping it alive and other conditions occurr
it makes a lot of sense to assist that project.
Once again: There are several reasons why a Free Software related
business might fails. A lot of them are not because of the Free Software.

As the number of visible Free Software businesses is not high
the Free Software community as some interest in helping good models
to be found and promoted. Good business models are the ones that
completely respect and honor the Free Software values.

> Is there some reason why arch isn't part of the GNU project?

I don't know for sure and can only speculate:
	+ The author might not have pursued this
	+ There are other alternatives and GNU sometimes tries to select one.