Why we speak about Free Software

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Apr 24 17:47:59 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 18:14, Loic Dachary wrote:
> 	I experience the same problems :-( Sun deliberatly marketed it
> to achieve this result. Since OpenOffice is Free Software people say
> StarOffice and OpenOffice interchangeably and they even *use*
> StarOffice because OpenOffice is Free Software.

What shows that StarOffice is marketed more is that we don't even have
the right name for the Free alternative - the name of the software is
now "OpenOffice.org" (I believe the correct short name is "OOo" :).

On the brighter side, I got pulled up for this (saying OpenOffice
instead of OpenOffice.org) in something I wrote recently by a "volunteer
marketer" for OpenOffice.org - so, this is obviously a problem that they
recognise, and there are people reading things and making sure that
people make the correct distinction between StarOffice and
OpenOffice.org. Perhaps we can prod them a little so that they also make
the distinction between the types of licence as well as the name  -
although, they may well do that already, I don't know.

Cheers,

Alex.