LWN letters

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 24 00:15:12 UTC 2002

Just for you that do not read LWN on a regular basis,
there are a couple of letter to the current LWN
which contain interesting argumentations
and defend freedom for software:

http://lwn.net/2002/0418/letters.php3

Some quotes:

From:	 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>
Subject: iSCSI and patents

	so he argues that a mere
	possibility (rather than a likelihood) of a patent problem is not
	cause for real alarm.  Believe this at your peril!  A chance that
	patents cover a protocol is like a chance that food has salmonella:
	don't find out by eating it!

From:	 bryanh at giraffe-data.com (Bryan Henderson)
Subject: The right to the fruits of one's ideas

[ Citing the US constitution. ]

	It doesn't mean Congress has to
	create patents or that anyone has a right to one.  In fact, in "for a
	limited time," it goes exactly the other way -- preserving the right
	of people to sponge off other peoples' work.

From:	 Kay Hayen <kayhayen at gmx.de>
Subject: http://www.lwn.net/daily/perens-robertson.php3

	I agree with that Debian will win in the end. I do not agree
	with the reason you seem to give, calling Debian "non-profit".

	I do not necessarily think an open system needs to be non-profit.

From:	 Emile Snyder <esnyder at whitesalmon.net>
Subject: RMS, property, and freedom

	the FSF and Mr. Stallman have never argued otherwise.  They have
	only pointed out the social harm in then punishing the buyer from
	giving away copies to his/her friends and neighbors.  This is why the
	physical/informational distinction is at the crux of the issue.  One
	may disagree with RMS's analysis of the failings of copyright law,
	but it is irresponsible to impugn his position based on specious
	analogy to physical property law.