Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Joerg Schilling schilling at fokus.gmd.de
Wed Apr 10 12:03:25 UTC 2002

>From: Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com>

>On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 10:30, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> RAW network access has been implemented by Sun in 1986 with:
>>=20
>> -	Reverse ARP Boot Protocol daemon
>>=20
>> -	Etherfind (a precursor of Snoop) ... the programs where the ideas
>> 	have been copied as "tcpdump"

>Sadly, that doesn't count as prior art, sorry. If it was Free Software,
>you might have a case, or if they exported the raw interface via an API
>- was that done?

While I don't understand why close source cannot be prior art, of course
it was documented:

NIT(4P)                     PROTOCOLS                     NIT(4P)

NAME
     nit - Network Interface Tap

CONFIG
     pseudo-device  clone
     pseudo-device  snit
     pseudo-device  pf
     pseudo-device  nbuf

SYNOPSIS
     #include <sys/file.h>
     #include <sys/ioctl.h>
     #include <net/nit_pf.h>
     #include <net/nit_buf.h>
          fd = open("/dev/nit", mode);
          ioctl(fd, I_PUSH, "pf");
          ioctl(fd, I_PUSH, "nbuf");

DESCRIPTION
     NIT (the Network Interface Tap) is a  facility  composed  of
     several  STREAMS modules and drivers.  These components col-
     lectively provide facilities for  constructing  applications
     that  require  link-level  network access.  Examples of such
     applications include rarpd(8C), which is a user-level imple-
     mentation  of  the  Reverse ARP protocol, and etherfind(8C),
     which is a network monitoring and trouble-shooting program.

Jörg

       js at cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       schilling at fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling