Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Alessandro Rubini rubini at gnu.org
Tue Apr 9 11:11:00 UTC 2002

> is it possible to attack patent no.  5,265,261 due to terms of prior
> art?

I don't think we are concerned about that. At least I am not. It's
wasted time as it leads to nothing.

The problem of patents on abstract concepts (so-called "sw patents") isn't
addressed by fighting each patent in turn. And the problem of misuse of
license contracts and libel ("IPR impairing"), or FUD more in general
isn't addressed by addressing this specific patent.

Moreover, if we deal with the details we appear to accept the overall
ideas and thus publicly agree to have them explored further.

I express my own points, not those of any organization I belong to.

--
Quello che scrivo rappresenta solo il mio personale punto di vista,
non rispecchia l'opinione di organizzazioni di cui faccio o ho fatto parte.