Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

alexander at alexanderbraun.de alexander at alexanderbraun.de
Tue Apr 9 05:00:34 UTC 2002

hi,
my name is alexander braun and I did not contribute much to the
discussions yet.
I'm not sure if I understood the topic correctly, but I looked up the
two patents.

though IANAL:
is it possible to attack patent no.  5,265,261 due to terms of prior
art? I only read the abstract but it seems to me it is a clear
description of tcp/ip but with an initial date from 1993. and i don't
see any difference to 5,437,013.
both patents talk of :

"""
   A method and system for sending data from a first computer through a
   communications line to a second computer. The second computer includes
   a redirector, a transport, a data buffer, and an application
   program. The method and system provides the transport with a read
   request to send data from the first computer to the second computer,
   and with a receive network control block which directs the transport
   to store the next data it receives directly in the data buffer. The
   transport sends the read request to the first computer. The first
   computer stores the data identified by the read request in a data
   block without a header. The first computer transmits the data block
   over the communications line to the transport. Using information
   contained in the network control block, the transport stores the
   requested data without the header directly in the data buffer.
"""

in the abstract. Propabely I missed soemthing, but for my
NO-Lawyer-ears this sounds like a common description of two computers
in _any_ network.

Attacking these patents will not help to protect SAMBA as a whole,
because M$ will insist on the IPR-stuff, but perhaps it might
help delaying the battle.
(because it's an american patent this might be an action of the
FSF-hq)

Alexander Braun