Filesystems [was: Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards]

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Mon Apr 8 16:49:56 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 05:44:32PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 05:25:39PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > > BTW. have you looked at Reiserfs's plans ?
> >
> > No, I don't have the time for that. But I'm certainly interested.
> >
> > > It seems that it will
> > > include something like translators soon. They plan to use it mostly
> > > for compression-on-fly and encryption-on-fly but it is going to be
> > > more general than that.
> >
> > You can never implement translators like we do it in a kernel.
>
> Alike or not, functionality will be similar.

No, read some Hurd documentation to what translators exactly are. For
example, a normal user can't add his own written compressing algoritms
without permission from a privileged user.

> Here is the document: http://www.namesys.com/v4/v4.html

Thank you, I've bookmarked the site. I will certainly look at it when
I've more time.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org