Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Jeroen Dekkers jeroen at dekkers.cx
Mon Apr 8 15:25:39 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 04:50:00PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 04:45:56PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:55:44AM +0200, M E Leypold @ labnet wrote:
> > > Yes -- I agree. We need a better (and more uniform) framework for
> > > sharing, abstracting and visualizing (possibly remote) resources. OK,
> > > I'm now talking about Linux mostly, but I'd like to have is s.th. like
> > > the Plan-9 Filesystem: Everything in a uniform processlocal
> > > namespace. Internet Sockets are just files (no need for netcat),
> > > loopback devices from user space (encrypted block-devices: no problem
> > > then) and so on. It' would be just a matter of the server used to
> > > export a resource encrypted to one side (Internet) and unencrypted to
> > > the other (my home LAN).
> >
> > Every plan9 feature I've heard of can be implemented in the Hurd
> > without too much difficulties. The real difference is that the Hurd is
> > still POSIX compatible while plan9 isn't AFAIK.
> >
> > Jeroen Dekkers
>
> If everything can be implemented so easily in Hurd then why nobody
> implements these things ?

No idea. There are coming more and more people who want to develop the
Hurd, the system is getting more stable and more usable. RMS wants a
release of the whole GNU system before the end of this year, I think
it will already be usable for normal desktop work then.

> BTW. have you looked at Reiserfs's plans ?

No, I don't have the time for that. But I'm certainly interested.

> It seems that it will
> include something like translators soon. They plan to use it mostly
> for compression-on-fly and encryption-on-fly but it is going to be
> more general than that.

You can never implement translators like we do it in a kernel.

Jeroen Dekkers
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers at jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen at openprojects