Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Martin Keegan mk270 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 10:00:59 UTC 2002

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, MJ Ray wrote:

> At the moment, the only people concerned with it that I am aware of are AFFS
> http://www.affs.org.uk/ and CDR http://uk.eurorights.org/ -- CDR don't like
> patents on their issues list yet, and AFFS is still young (expect a call for

Background:

MJ Ray (the poster to whom I'm replying) is involved with the
setup of AFFS as an organisation. CDR, which I myself am involved with, is
a less formal organisation, which grew out of the "Free Dmitri Sklyarov"
protests.

AFFS has patents on its list of major issues.

I don't know what "CDR don't like patents on their issues list yet" means.
I suspect it's a typo where "like" should be "link". CDR certainly hasn't
really dealt with patents, and concentrates on copyright and technological
protection measures (DMCA, EUCD, etc).

> members Real Soon Now).  I don't think this counts as "very publicly" yet.
> The more people who get involved with these two groups, the sooner it will.

I'll say it again: we need a European campaigning organisation for the
digital environment, covering the issues of freedom of speech, privacy,
crypto policy, intellectual property and open architecture.

Mk