Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Apr 7 12:01:19 UTC 2002

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> wrote:
> It isn't fair but that's what's happening. The majority of UK people
> voted for this government.

No, only 40.7% of UK voters (and some subjects are not permitted to vote,
even if they are adults) voted for this government.  It's a long way short
of a majority of UK people.  They are our elected representatives, though,
and we must work with them to make them represent us.

> MJ, are you from the UK? Who in the UK is raising the issue against
> software patents (very publicly)?

At the moment, the only people concerned with it that I am aware of are AFFS
http://www.affs.org.uk/ and CDR http://uk.eurorights.org/ -- CDR don't like
patents on their issues list yet, and AFFS is still young (expect a call for
members Real Soon Now).  I don't think this counts as "very publicly" yet.
The more people who get involved with these two groups, the sooner it will.