Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.yi.org
Sat Apr 6 23:18:23 UTC 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 10:51:09PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > If they can't get Samba as part of the package, many users won't choose a
> > free system, they'll chose a proprietary system. [...]
>
> Will they still, if we have a better alternative?
Most use samba because it's the best alternative for CIFS servicing, not
because CIFS is the best remote filesystem.

> Surely Samba is normally used during migration.
I don't think so. Some substitute win32 servers for free unix servers, but
remain with win32 clients because of the "habituation" caused by Word and
a dumb GUI. Some even use free unix servers without the knowledge of the
lesser technical managers.

> You never know, availability of a more secure remote
> mount may make them have to implement it in their OS at last.  Then we have
> the upper hand.
Availability of more secure remote mounts hasn't yet made then implement
them. Microsoft is in a position were it can dictate the standars (most of
them) used by clients, and those trying to fight Microsoft then have to
provide both server and clients with support for the same services.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

Luciano Rocha, strange at nsk.yi.org

The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
you want.
                -- D. Cohen