Microsoft prohibits GPLed work via licensing of CIFS standards

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Apr 6 23:00:01 UTC 2002

xdrudis at tinet.org <xdrudis at tinet.org> wrote:
> I heard that UK is the country pushing for software patents in Europe.

Please, do not start that again.  The UK Government, advised by the UKPTO,
merely appears trying to export our ambiguous wording.  I'm willing to
believe that they don't know how much harm this will do.  It still needs to
be stopped.

I don't think it's fair to say that the UK is pushing for it.  I don't think
most UK subjects are even aware of the issue right now, not even the ones
who ought to know about it.

> So your help trying to change that would be more useful (IMHO) than
> fighting this single license. If you want to help your country fellows in
> keeping our law system sane, you may want to read
>
> http://swpat.ffii.org/players/uk/index.en.html

And then you may want to help AFFS organise its campaign against this
ill-considered move.  http://www.affs.org.uk/   We're looking for new faces
to help us on this troublesome issue.  Other campaigns are setting up, too.