Does the website need philsoophy essays?

Alistair Davidson lord_inh at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 17:48:02 UTC 2001

Xavi Drudis Ferran wrote:

> I don't know about your father or Tarneybackle, but I've heard people
> complain about, and long for, those times before radio or television,
> were the family and/or friend would gather after supper and tell a
> story, sing a song or play music, using cultural works that weren't
> copyrighted and weren't even always properly attributed to their
> authors, but were alive.

This is true. In fact, the band formed out of a "session" that takes place at
the local pub once a week. People gather round and play traditional tunes. I've
grown up in this environment; everything from traditional Scots songs to music
from the Spanish Civil War gets played.

> So why should "GPLd" folk music be anything other than the default option?.

A good point. Two of the songs on their album were written by one of th band
members, so he gets to choose the copyright. Some were written by other
musicians who are still alive, and hence are still udner copyright (I think they
get a couple of pounds from the album sales).

Most are traditional. I don't know what the law says regarding interpretations
of traditional works; are they copyrightable?

BTW, could someone from the webmaste team please tell me if a philosophy essay
would be useful on the site?

--
Alistair Davidson
Read my comic, Bizmatch! http://www.altgeek.org/lord_inh/comic/index.html