"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Fri Sep 7 00:42:00 UTC 2001

 || On 06 Sep 2001 10:49:48 +0100
 || MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

 >> <big><bold> Why we speak about Free Software

 mr> What is this coding?  It reminds me of what that nasty MS mail
 mr> client does.

I don't think it has any real name, I just wanted to prepare things as
pure ASCII and found this to be the most intuitive way. Had I known
that this would look like a MS mail client, I might have avoided
it. Since I never used one of them, I wouldn't know, though.

 >> In many languages, the ambiguity of the term "free" does not
 >> exist. It may in others, including English, but that is easy to
 >> avoid by pointing out that free refers to freedom, not price.

 mr> Please don't burn me for saying this: the ambiguity *does* exist
 mr> in English, so we who speak in English *must* modify our language
 mr> in order to communicate our points clearly.  Personally, I prefer
 mr> the term "Software Freedoms" as an accurate translation of our
 mr> aims into modern English... is that acceptable to FSFE?

Software freedoms are what constitutes Free Software. I don't know
whether people would understand that we are talking about a kind of
software if we made "Freedoms" the subject.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve at fsfeurope.org>