"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Fri Sep 7 00:45:15 UTC 2001

 || On Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:46:25 +0200
 || Christian Selig <sledge at warptec.com> wrote:

 cs> When we speak about someting, we refer _either_ to its meaning
 cs> _or_ to the term itself. It's unclear what "speaking _about_"
 cs> something refers to.

 cs> I don't know whether "talking of sth." is the right wording so
 cs> that it's clear that we talk about the term "Free Software", not
 cs> its meaning.

I have also thought about this potential problem when writing the
text, but thought that we want people to speak (and think) *about*
Free Software. This is furthered by using the term, I think.

Therefore I felt "about" was slightly better than "of" but people may
disagree. Changing it gets harder every day because the companies are
preparing their releases, so we should probably only change it if we
feel it needs to be done or makes a major difference. What do you
think?

Regards,
Georg

--