"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

Giovanni Biscuolo giovanni.biscuolo at libero.it
Thu Sep 6 21:52:33 UTC 2001

"Georg C. F. Greve" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Alcove had the idea to launch a "Why we speak about Free Software"

Thank you Alcove!

> campaign that we considered to be a pretty good idea, so I prepared a
> text for it that you'll find attached below.

I like it very much.

> The FSF has agreed to this statement (Richard gave his okay), so has
> Alcove. This means we have a sound basis to run this campaign. Alcove
> wanted it done fast and I saw no major reason to delay it, so release
> date for it is
>
>        Monday, September 10th
>
> which means it is not yet officially out and I'd like to ask you to
> wait publicising the campaign until then.

Ok...just a few days :-)

> I have begun preparing a web site for it at
>
>   http://fsfeurope.org/documents/whyfs.en.html
>
> that might take a little while to go online (I just checked it in).
>
> There are several things I could think of that would be very useful to
> do to make this campaign a success:
>
>  1. Talk to other companies that might be interested in supporting
>     this campaign from launch-time. The more companies support it from
>     the beginning, the better.

But talking to other companies it's similar to publicise it ;-)
Joking.

>  2. We could make web-site buttons saying "I speak about Free
>     Software" "We speak about Free Software" "Free Software - because
>     freedom matters" or so that people could put on their web sites as
>     links to this campaign in order to show support and make it more
>     well-known.

Let's decide for one slogan: I like "We speak about Free Software".

>  3. Translate the text into other languages - although it is possible
>     that some last-minute changes will still be made.

On Saturday I'll be able to translate it, please consider me for
this work.

>  4. Read over the text to make sure it doesn't contain embarassing
>     mistakes.

Ok for tonight. Tomorrow I'll read it again...

>  5. Anything else you can think of that would be useful.
Hmmm.... Ok: brainstorming.

CiaoG.
--
Art and scienze are free and free is their teaching [IT Constitution,
art.33]
mailto:giovanni.biscuolo at milug.org |  mailto: g at xelera.it