"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

Christian Selig sledge at warptec.com
Thu Sep 6 12:46:25 UTC 2001

Hello all,

today, I've written a mail to fsfe-de regarding a problem with the
German translation of the campaign headline (it's not yet confirmed, I
currently use my work mail account).
After reading MJ Ray's message through pipermail (I have not subscribed
to discussion at ...), I realize now that we have a problem with the
campaign title in English, too.
I'm not that good at English, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

When we speak about someting, we refer _either_ to its meaning _or_ to
the term itself. It's unclear what "speaking _about_" something refers to.

I don't know whether "talking of sth." is the right wording so that it's
clear that we talk about the term "Free Software", not its meaning.

In German, Wolfgang translated it as "über etw. sprechen", not "von etw.
sprechen", which would be the way in German to avoid that ambiguity.

Comments by English native speakers highly appreciated.

Bye,
Christian

--
"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose.
Nothing's worth nothing but it's free." (Kris Kristofferson)

Christian Selig, <sledge at warptec.com> http://www.warptec.com/