"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

Christian Selig sledge at warptec.com
Thu Sep 6 12:46:25 UTC 2001

Hello all,

today, I've written a mail to fsfe-de regarding a problem with the
German translation of the campaign headline (it's not yet confirmed, I
currently use my work mail account).
After reading MJ Ray's message through pipermail (I have not subscribed
to discussion at ...), I realize now that we have a problem with the
campaign title in English, too.
I'm not that good at English, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

When we speak about someting, we refer _either_ to its meaning _or_ to
the term itself. It's unclear what "speaking _about_" something refers to.

I don't know whether "talking of sth." is the right wording so that it's
clear that we talk about the term "Free Software", not its meaning.

In German, Wolfgang translated it as "├╝ber etw. sprechen", not "von etw.
sprechen", which would be the way in German to avoid that ambiguity.

Comments by English native speakers highly appreciated.

Bye,
Christian

--
"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose.
Nothing's worth nothing but it's free." (Kris Kristofferson)

Christian Selig, <sledge at warptec.com> http://www.warptec.com/