"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 09:49:48 UTC 2001

"Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at gnu.org> writes:

> <big><bold> Why we speak about Free Software

What is this coding?  It reminds me of what that nasty MS mail client
does.

> In many languages, the ambiguity of the term "free" does not exist. It
> may in others, including English, but that is easy to avoid by
> pointing out that free refers to freedom, not price.

Please don't burn me for saying this: the ambiguity *does* exist in
English, so we who speak in English *must* modify our language in
order to communicate our points clearly.  Personally, I prefer the
term "Software Freedoms" as an accurate translation of our aims into
modern English... is that acceptable to FSFE?

--
MJR
      This is my personal web site =-> http://mjr.towers.org.uk/