"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

Jaime E . Villate villate at fe.up.pt
Wed Sep 5 20:05:57 UTC 2001

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:53:57AM -0500, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
>   http://fsfeurope.org/documents/whyfs.en.html

Very well written; I like it.

>  1. Talk to other companies that might be interested in supporting
>     this campaign from launch-time. The more companies support it from
>     the beginning, the better.

I think the "company" that we should most urgently convince is Debian.

I've tried very hard a few weeks ago to convince the webmasters to change the
use of "Open Source" instead of Free Software, which is a very common
ocurrence in www.debian.org. I had an argument with Josip Rodin who affirms
that it is part of the Debian constitution that we should use Open Source
rather than Free Software. And that the only way to change it would be by a
modification of the constitution.

This situation comes from the time when Bruce Perens was the Debian leader,
but from what I read nowadays in Debian lists, the great majority of Debian
developers use correctly the term Free Software.

Any ideas on how to convince Debian's webmasters?

Jaime