"Why we speak about Free Software" campaign

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Wed Sep 5 16:53:57 UTC 2001

Hi all,

Alcove had the idea to launch a "Why we speak about Free Software"
campaign that we considered to be a pretty good idea, so I prepared a
text for it that you'll find attached below.

The FSF has agreed to this statement (Richard gave his okay), so has
Alcove. This means we have a sound basis to run this campaign. Alcove
wanted it done fast and I saw no major reason to delay it, so release
date for it is

       Monday, September 10th

which means it is not yet officially out and I'd like to ask you to
wait publicising the campaign until then.

I have begun preparing a web site for it at

  http://fsfeurope.org/documents/whyfs.en.html

that might take a little while to go online (I just checked it in).

There are several things I could think of that would be very useful to
do to make this campaign a success:

 1. Talk to other companies that might be interested in supporting
    this campaign from launch-time. The more companies support it from
    the beginning, the better.

 2. We could make web-site buttons saying "I speak about Free
    Software" "We speak about Free Software" "Free Software - because
    freedom matters" or so that people could put on their web sites as
    links to this campaign in order to show support and make it more
    well-known.

 3. Translate the text into other languages - although it is possible
    that some last-minute changes will still be made.

 4. Read over the text to make sure it doesn't contain embarassing
    mistakes.

 5. Anything else you can think of that would be useful.

Regards,
Georg