Free software on Windows (was: Re: about warez.at)

João Miguel Neves joao at silvaneves.org
Wed Oct 31 17:27:15 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 14:00, David Mentre wrote:
> Josef Dalcolmo <dalcolmo at vh-s.de> writes:
>
> > My point is: it would be great if the whole GNU/Linux system would be ported
> > to Windows: Linux as a program running in Windows. That should be possible,
> > just like any other port to a new machine, and would immediately allow access
> > to the whole rich world of Linux applications. As a next step, cut-and-paste
> > between Windows and Linux could be implemented making this a wonderful
> > solution to benefit of many free software solutions.
>
> As far as I remembered, RMS was against porting free software on
> proprietary OS. If I remember correctly, the argument was: "Don't
> improve proprietary OS with our free software".

I can understand that, but like it's normal with free software, someone
found the need to do it and cygwin was born. You can check it out at
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/. My use of cygwin was always to
overcome windows limitations when I was forced to use windows
(fortunately that doesn't happen any more and all my computer has is
free software, hopefully - sometimes debian maintainers forget to check
if the license is free...).

--
						Joao Miguel Neves