about warez.at

Florian Weimer Florian.Weimer at RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
Wed Oct 31 11:13:20 UTC 2001

Philipp Gühring <p.guehring at futureware.at> writes:

> Why? What do you have against the BSA? They just want the same thing, we
> want: They want to diminish software piracy.

I'm not sure about that.  In the past, the big companies tolerated a
certain amount of copying, in order to help spreading their software
among home users etc.  This way, many users have already used the new
version at home before it is introduced at their workplace (which
reduces training costs), and companies are forced to upgrade to remain
compatible with their own employees.  Companies usually can't afford
to copy software illegally, although there once was a Microsoft
campaign which said that you should do it from a financial
perspective.  (In the example presented, the fictional company had
only to pay an amount of fines which roughly equaled the salary of the
developers for a single day.)

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer at RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/