Electricite de France distributes one of its numerical simulation softwares (Code_Aster) as free software

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 23 16:40:01 UTC 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:28:11PM +0200, Olivier Berger wrote:
> I wanted to let you know that EDF has just released one of its numerical
> simulation softwares (mechanics mostly) as free software (under the
> GPL).

Right now it is _not_ under the GPL.

http://www.code-aster.org/telechargement/read_license.php?dl=Code_Aster
| The present license is entirely based on the official GNU GENERAL
| PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2, June 1991, with the three (3) following
| remarks :
|   - We call your attention on the high level of technology of the
|     Code_Aster software. The utilization of the software requires
|     specific skills in computational mechanics using finite element
|     method.
|   - This License shall be governed by and shall be interpreted in
|     accordance with the French Laws.
|   - All disputes or differences arising out in connection with this
|     License which cannot be settled amicably shall be settled by the
|     commercial court of Paris or any other competent court of Paris
|     which would be determined.

The second and third remark might be problematic and even render it
uncompatible with the GPL.

> Oh, btw, the sources aren't available at the present time and EDF
> promised to provide them on december 15.

We applaude their aim to release their product as Free Software.

However we should insist that they do not call a modified GNU GPL
the real thing and we have to wait for the code.

> I copy the press-release of EDF below :
> October 19 th , 2001

>                 www.code-aster.org
>
> the new Web site, presented on October 19 th , 2001 at the « Maison de
> la Mécanique », near Paris gives access to the development version of
> Code_Aster in the form of a free software, under GPL license (GNU
> General Public License).

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)