about warez.at

Wim De Smet fragmeat at yucom.be
Sat Oct 20 18:42:56 UTC 2001

Simo Sorce wrote:

>"Stefano Maffulli (by way of Stefano Maffulli )" wrote:
>
>>Now that I think about it, isn't there in Germany a tax on cd-writers for
>>compensating software companies and the record industry for illegal copies?
>>Who do you think "suggested" that law? I am suspicious by nature :)
>>
>I'm not sure it is really true, but seeing a television programme here in italy
>("report") about SIAE I came to know that in Italy you pay a tax on blank cd-rom
>and cd-rw to SIAE (10% I think) for the same reason people pay it for cd-writers
>in germany.
>That's just incredible (I use CD-rom's for backup only) but seem true.

I believe there is a similar arrangement in Belgium, but only for
writeable audio cd's. This off course made it more acceptable. Still I
think that it's an unlawful arrangement: they have no idea what happens
with the cd (about 90% gets written with copyrighted material, according
to surveys etc.), and still they make everyone pay. They being the
government btw.

Greetings,

Wim