about warez.at

Tomasz Wegrzanowski taw at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 19 14:32:17 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 04:07:33PM +0200, Guillaume PONCE wrote:
> Hi there
> (I've been reading this discussion list for a few months but this is my first
> intervention)
>
> If I understand well, this BSA action is bad because it does publicity for the
> "wrong end of the piracy problem".
>
> I agree with you when you say that it is harmfull to free software.
>
> But I think that taking action for this against the BSA is a *negative* way to
> solve the problem.
> The risk is that it could let people think that we are "on the pirates' side".

But we are on the same side.

Underground software distributors give people more freedom in short-term.
Without them, all monopolists, like Microsoft and RIAA would have many times money,
would be able to set many times higher prices and would be able to buy more politicians
to ban all free software and competition in general.

Just because what these people do is illegal under current broken law doesn't mean
that it's wrong or that we should oppose it. Their work is also very important
for success of freedom.