Systems 2001: Panel Discussion GNU/Linux and Free Software

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 12:30:16 UTC 2001

Frank Koormann <frank.koormann at intevation.de> writes:

> However, the proposed options for future business models were quite
> different. Where on the one hand proprietary models based on GNU/Linux
> were prefered, the other strong hand favorited service based models with
> free software. [...]

Is it possible to have more descriptions of some of the models
discussed, please?  Personally, I find it fascinating to see what the
current thinking in this area is.

Are there equivalent models possible for freely redistributable
content providers possible?  (See LWN.net current and previous.  There
is another list elsewhere to discuss that particular case, though.)

--
MJR

Do you need advice about the Internet or particular net services?  Why
not talk to my employers?  See http://www.luminas.co.uk/ for details.