NDA's

John Peter Tapsell tapselj0 at cs.man.ac.uk
Sat Oct 13 00:26:47 UTC 2001

> John Peter Tapsell <tapselj0 at cs.man.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm 19, and a company wants me to sign a particulary horrible NDA for me to
> > do about 1 week of evening work :(
>
> I'd ask what was particularly offensive about this NDA, but NDAs
> normally prevent you from discussing the contents of the NDAs with
> people not covered by it...

Yeah but I can talk about it before I sign it :)
Anyway, I replied as polite as I can that I cannot accept this.

Basically I wasn't allowed to write a website (for a year) that "allows the
user to enter username/password and then can customize the website"  I mean
... that is just about every website I've ever done.

I'm finding it hard to find work as such.  I have job offers from ukwebworks
which are really great to me, and don't require NDA's (unless the client
does, which was only once, and only lasted a day or something stupid)

I'm kinda unsure what to do - I want to work in research or something - but
I worked in Medical AI research last summer, and they paid me less than
McDonalds does :)
I don't particular want to work for a coperation - I'm in that very typical
student view of huge-coperations-are-bad-but-i-don't-see-altertantives...

I wouldn't mind working for IBM in OS - not sure.

I dunno.. I know this is totally the wrong place... but where do I go?
My careers centre was like "open source? er.." and the person they referred
me to gave me some useful emails - except that they kept saying i should
search on the web for shareware...

I'm used to handling large projects from start to end, and hiring people,
but if i go in a large company, there is no way I'd get to do that kind of
stuff for many years.

I ask you for advice :)

JohnFlux