cardpics, savannah, sourceforge

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 13:42:15 UTC 2001

Yves:
> However, there is another dimension you do not mention.
> We need to access to non-free software to see what is
> good in them. Would there have been a so good mozilla if
> there had not been msie?

If the "browser arms race" had not happened, hopefully they would have
concentrated on the spec instead of introducing so many incompatibilities
and inconsistencies.

Of course, you can speculate whether we'd have an open mozilla without
Netscape falling behind in the arms race, but enough other browsers are
being developed to suggest that we would probably have got there anyway.
Maybe it would have been faster because of not losing developers to moz, or
maybe it would have been slower because people wouldn't have seen a need.
That's not a reality which is open to us now, so we shall never know.  We
opened the box and Schrodinger's cat seems to be alive.

What really irritates me is certain people claiming that non-implementation
of bugs in the major browsers is a bug in the compliant browser.
--
MJR