The FSF Europe recommends: avoid SourceForge

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 10:57:38 UTC 2001

John:
> Do we disagree with what they are doing, but acknoledge that the good
> outweighs the bad, do we personally try to find and encourage other
> solutions, or do we make ourselves loud...

We should:
 1/ Try to encourage and develop alternatives;
 2/ Promote the alternatives with reasons;
 3/ Make ourselves loud about these alternative tools;

This should get FSFE seen as the good guys in this and hopefully add more
developers to the cause.  We're happy because freedom is preserved and
software developers are happy because they get good, high-quality,
interoperable *free* tools to work with and build on.

It is actually simpler (if not easier) than what seems to be happening right
now:-

We should not:
 1/ Try to kill the stricken market leader with negative comments;
 2/ Promote our disagreements with them;
 3/ Make ourselves loud while saying no new ideas.

This gets us seen as "those whinging free software zealots" and "another
load of VA-bashers", probably losing support.

> Oh, btw, are there any planned meetings or anything in the future?

Sunday.  Hope you can make it.
--
MJR