SmoothWall facts

Loic Dachary loic at gnu.org
Thu Nov 8 16:29:16 UTC 2001

	Hi,

	Just a few basic facts about SmoothWall (www.smoothwall.org). IMHO
those people should be more careful about licensing issues. It requires no
expertise, just a brain and a little time to deal with them. I hope this
list will help them fix the issues.

	Regarding ftp://us0.download.smoothwall.org/pub/releases/0.9.9/smoothwall-0.9.9-cvsstuff.tar.gz

	- We are talking of a total of 4000 lines of code
	  counts 13000 lines, 9000 of which are files containing translated
	  strings.

	- The tar does not contain any documentation
	  One can probably build the ISO image extrapolating from
	  http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=872&group_id=10366

	- The licence notice is wrong since it refers to a COPYING file
	  that is not present in the tarball + does not mention any other
	  way to get the license

	- Lawrence Manning is the sole copyright holder of all files.

	Regarding the ISO image

	- We are talking of 6000 lines of code, mostly CGI scripts +
          rc files.

	- The SmoothWall Team is the sole copyright holder of all
	  files.  Unless this team has a legal existence (company, non
	  profit), it cannot be the copyright holder.

	- Most of them contain an invalid copyright notice. Typically:
#
# SmoothWall CGIs
#
# This code is distributed under the terms of the GPL
#
# (c) The SmoothWall Team

	- Anyone distributing the ISO image will also distribute the
	  /home/httpd/html/mindtermfull.jar and be in direct violation
	  with the corresponding license
	  http://www.appgate.org/products/mindterm/mindterm_licensing.html

	- It contains many .gif files

	I'm out of fuel at this point ;-)