The Community is the Company

loic at gnu.org loic at gnu.org
Sat May 26 14:58:31 UTC 2001

 >     - Software should be free because it can enforce controls on people.

	Is this what you meant or is there a typo ?

 > solutions to several people problems. I believe that this is more than a
 > minor reason, it's the reason why free software works.

	The four fundamental freedoms are the roots of all the side
effects you mention ("the user is the developer", "more efficient
development model").  Listing all the consequences of those four
freedoms would be a hard job.  Sorting them by order of importance is
probably impossible. Depending on your perspective you may see one or
the other as "the" most important.  Since they do not exclude each
other it does not really matter to find out.

 > My this is just a question of belief, but I don't believe that a single
 > entity (FSMC) can represent either the diversity or the power of free
 > software. I understand marketing has giving to people what they want or

	I think the idea is that this company is much more like a nation
(hence the declaration) than a company. In that sense it will represent
the diversity of Free Software in the same way as France represents
the diversity of the French culture.

	Cheers,

Loic   Dachary         http://www.dachary.org/  loic at dachary.org
24 av Secretan         http://www.senga.org/      loic at senga.org