RfD: FSFe-education [FSFE projects]

MJ Ray markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk
Sun May 20 22:58:26 UTC 2001

Hilaire Fernandes <hilaire at ext.cri74.org> writes:

> MJ> Can any activities please be co-ordinated with other bodies such as
> MJ> those known to seul-edu http://www.seul.org/edu/ ?  Duplication of
> MJ> advocacy may not be the best way forwards.
> As far as free software philosophy is concerned, seul/edu is not the
> right place to seek coordinatiion. Seul/edu can promote commercial
> software as well as free software

Well, maybe that is why I said "co-ordinated with" rather than "left
to", "delegated to" or "handed over to".

I am aware that Linux (such as in SEUL's name) or Open Source (as in
many local organisation names) is not the same as Free Software, but
surely we can build on the common ground and avoid duplication where
it would occur?  I thought Free Software was partly to avoid having to
reinvent the wheel every time, but what is the gain if we feel
compelled to do so in other spheres than software?

Do I have a large "PLEASE MISINTERPRET ME" message on every email
today or something?  There is no need to read anything more into my
words than what they actually say.  Exercising pedantry on the
misinterpretation is very distressing.  It's really starting to
depress me.  :-(
--
MJR