FSFE projects [was: T-shirts]

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Sun May 20 18:24:26 UTC 2001

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 01:48:49PM -0400, Gerhard Poul wrote:

> > This already lead to the ridiculous situation where some IT
> > departments hire MSCP's for positions as ... *nix admins,

> This has _nothing_ to do with _free software_ at all.

> Sun, HP, and IBM have the same problem. - Nobody knows _anyhting_
> about their Unix systems before someday sitting in front of one ;-)

The problem being common with non-free *nix's doesn't mean we shouldn't
address it.

> If Unix User Groups don't address this issue maybe the FSFE should
> promote the use of Unix. (either free or non-free)

NO! Promoting the use of non-free software? NO. It's a fact that when
taught on the use of a GNU environment on is at the same thime taught
on the use of non-free *nix. That's a side effect. Not the reason it
is done.

> > The "next generation" of admins will understand only Windows. Thus
> > making the use of free software the difficult path.

> That's what I'm trying to prohibit. - If they learn Unix, regardless
> of freeness, they will have _no_ problem of working with a GNU
> system.

Yes, that's true. But not a reason to promote Unix use.

> >  - Developing free software to be used as a tool in any level of
> >    education: primaire, high school, supérieur.

Oups, some french glided in here: primaire = 6 to 12 years old,
supérieur = higher education (after high school graduation).

> I don't think free software works that way.

? Why should the whole world use free software to do everything, but
not education organizations? I really don't get your point here.

--
Lionel Elie Mamane
RFC 1991 (PGP 2.x) 2048 bits Key Fingerprint (KeyID: 20C897E9):