Update of Software Patents Agenda

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ext.cri74.org
Sun May 20 08:37:33 UTC 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001 14:03:59 +0200
Francois PELLEGRINI <pelegrin at labri.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

Francois> karin kosina wrote:
Francois> >     maybe that's a stupid question, but *who* will make the final
Francois> > decision about whether software patents will be legal? I figure it's the
Francois> > European Commission, but is that true?
Francois>
Francois> Yes, it is the role of the Commission to propose and pass new
Francois> "directives", as they are called.
Francois> What I do not remember is if the parliament should vote it too...

In last resort, the parliament can vetoed the commission. Which mean disolve it.
Lobbing the parliament may be useful in this case.

Hilaire

--
OFSET - Organization for Free Software in Education and Teaching
http://www.ofset.org