K5: 'Is Richard Stallman's Fight For "GNU/Linux" Suicide?'

Stefan Meretz stefan.meretz at hbv.org
Sat May 19 10:55:00 UTC 2001

"Georg C. F. Greve" wrote:

>  || On Thu, 17 May 2001 18:33:47 +0200
>  || Lutz Horn <lh at lutz-horn.de> wrote:
>
>  lh> ...
>  lh> this kind of thinking. And I repeat: by stating the compatibility
>  lh> between free software and commercial use the FSFE is doing
>  lh> exactly this.
>
> Thinking that Free Software was about being non-commercial is a
> misunderstanding that a lot of people have (including the author of
> the article). It is a misunderstanding, however.

Agreed, but this is not what Lutz said.

> Free Software is not about being against commercialization, it is
> about being for freedom.

Agreed. But it is a important difference saying "free Software is about
being for commercialization of free software" or saying "free Software
is about being for freedom (not only) of software". That's the point.

Ciao,
Stefan

--
  Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft / HBV
  HA II, Abteilung Datenverarbeitung
  mailto:stefan.meretz at hbv.org
  maintaining: http://www.hbv.org
  see also: http://www.verdi-net.de