RMS: "copyright and globalization"

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Thu May 17 20:14:28 UTC 2001

Gerhard Poul wrote:

> >   http://media-in-transition.mit.edu/forums/copyright/transcript.html
>
> And there is a _LINK_ to download this in ogg-vorbis format.
>
> I saw it _after_ reading it. - I don't know why some people think they
> have to put such an important information in the last line of a page.
>
> btw: Is there a MP3 player out there which supports ogg-vorbis?  Would be
> interesting.

I suppose you mean a portable (hardware) player since there's many
software players that support mp3 and Ogg/Vorbis.

This is what I saw on the mailing list (though I have no experience
with Ogg/Vorbis in hardware myself):

: Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:32:51 -0800
: From: xiphmont at xiph.org (Monty)
:
: > Has any hardware manufacturer announced support for Ogg?
:
: Iomega is about to do so.  I have and alpha version of a Vorbis
: software update for their HipZip players.  If you have a HipZip, I'll
: send it to you :-)

: Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:16:12 -0800
: From: Jack Moffitt <jack at icecast.org>
:
: The Xiph.org team is also proud to announce that Ogg Vorbis is now
: available in portable hardware form.  Interactive Objects, Inc. has announced
: the Dadio 2.0 operating system with Ogg Vorbis support.  This will ensure that
: many upcoming audio hardware devices support Vorbis playback.   "iObjects is
: happy to be the first to provide high-quality Ogg Vorbis playback for portable
: devices.  This development increases freedom of choice for portable users,"
: said Mark Phillips, CTO of Interactive Objects, Inc..

Frank

Frank Heckenbach, frank at g-n-u.de
http://fjf.gnu.de/
PGP and GPG keys: http://fjf.gnu.de/plan