Development project to visualize the vitality of the developers community

Olivier Berger oberger at april.org
Wed May 16 22:30:49 UTC 2001

Henrion Benjamin a écrit :

> Olivier Berger <oberger at april.org> [010515]:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> > I'd like to submit one idea that we got recently of a system that could
> > be used to visualize the vitality of the developers community in our
> > areas, and could also serve as a tool to better know how to contact
> > those of us who travel a lot for free software...

Btw, I added this project as a long term task on savannah
(https://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=156&group_id=53&group_project_id=48)

> > Here is the little memo I wrote :
> >
> > (ideas for a name : World Almost Real-time Developpers Positioning
> > System)
> >
> > This project aims at developing a system which would allow easy
> > geographical representation of Free Software Developpers on the
> > terrestrial globe maps. This would be a great way to represent the
> > vitality of the Free Software community, as well as a contact tool
> > which could help in joining people traveling alot.
> >

> A good example of such maps is on the debian website that uses Xplanet
> (xplanet.sourceforge.net).

The page is http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc, for those
curious.

Great ! Exactly the kind of stuff I'd like to see... with some dynamics
and customization of the views...

> It could be possible but the onliest problem is data! I belive all of
> the tools exists (see Freegis.org).

Also what I think... not a big deal for the great hackers around here ;)

As for the data (you mean the localisation information of each volunteer
member of the system ?)... we'll find a way to input (for instance by
mail)...

--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)