Slogan

Jaime E . Villate villate at fe.up.pt
Wed May 16 07:45:16 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:39:36AM +0200, Peter Gerwinski wrote:
> Lord Alistair Davidson, part time deity wrote:
> > The current slogan on the FSFE webpage is "Free Software - equal chances
> > for people and economy". I think this should be changed as soon as
> > possible.  It does not read like proper English. I'm no expert, but I
> > know when something doesn't look right.
> >
> > I believe that "Free Software- an equal chance for people and the
> > economy" would be closer to grammatical correctness. Anyone with more of
> > a clue than me care to chip in?
>
> My personal opinion: I do not understand this slogan, and I would
> like to replace it by something entirely different.

There are two separate issues here. A change of message of the slogan and
delivering the message in a grammatical form that do not make people laugh or
scratch their heads trying to figure out what it means.  The second issue
seems much more urgent to me; as I already said it in an old message in the
webmasters list, I agree with "Lord Davidson" that in this context it should
be "the economy" and not just "economy".

Keep in mind that we are not discussing what the slogan should say, but just
the correct way of saying what is currently trying to say.

Cheers,
Jaime