Oekonux (was: Re: Logo timeline)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun May 13 22:28:32 UTC 2001

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 11:22:33PM +0200, Stefan Meretz wrote:

> for this list I propose to concentrate on free software support
> (with focus on freedom;-)).

Excatly. Free software will be the focus of the FSFE.

> Oekonux

> The topic is how to extend freedom as defined by FSF and GPL into other
> areas of society. A more radical approach.

Let me add my personal opinion here:
I am skeptical of the "Oekonux" approach because freedom in other
areas as been discussed intensively for a long time. The "freedom for
software" idea actually stems from the philisophy of freedom
in other areas like science. Trying to revert the process
to extend freedom from the GPL to others areas is not the best
approach and ignoring a lot of good documented discussion of
freedom in other areas.

> Unfortunately the first FSFE press release was a slight
> damping (this is the background for my questions and critique).

The press release did focus on freedom.

	Bernhard