Oekonux (was: Re: Logo timeline)

Stefan Meretz stefan.meretz at hbv.org
Fri May 11 21:22:33 UTC 2001

Hi Frank and all,

Frank Heckenbach wrote:
> [1] As I said in another mail, changing the society so this would be
>     possible is a noble goal, but it's a different and a long-term
>     goal and I don't see many concrete plans to reach it. So let's
>     not mix this up with the concrete action we can (and should)
>     take to support free software right now.

Ok, you're right. I don't think, there is a contradiction. But for this
list I propose to concentrate on free software support (with focus on
freedom;-)). Those who want to go steps forward in expanding freedom
have other possibilities. I want to point to "Oekonux" as an example -
the most "concrete plan" I ever saw;-).

Oekonux (from german word combination of economy and GNU/Linux) is a
fast growing grassroot project with a german and an english mailinglist.
The topic is how to extend freedom as defined by FSF and GPL into other
areas of society. A more radical approach. Two weeks ago a conference
took place with 30 talks from different areas (from free software over
free hardware to free culture and free science and free society as a
whole) and about 180 participants (a lot of them traditional software
engineers never had touch with free software). And it was discussed how
to support FSFE, and if it could be a good idea to become an assosiated
member of FSFE. Unfortunately the first FSFE press release was a slight
damping (this is the background for my questions and critique).

Although Oekonux is not a "pure" free software group, but a broader
group discussing these long-term goals mentioned above, I wish to have a
good cooperation with FSFE. Therefore I want a strong FSFE. And Oekonux
draws a lot of attention to free software from parts of society which
have a completely different approach to this freedom topic (see articles
in different newspapers and online journals). So my idea is a kind of
"division of work".

That's for now. Here are links for those who are interested:
Oekonux (german): http://www.oekonux.de
Oekonux (english): http://www.oekonux.org
Conference (german): http://www.oekonux-konferenz.de
Interview with the Oekonux maintainer (english):
http://www.nettime.org/nettime.w3archive/200104/msg00127.html

Ciao,
Stefan

--
  Vereinte Dienstleistungsgewerkschaft / HBV
  HA II, Abteilung Datenverarbeitung
  mailto:stefan.meretz at hbv.org
  maintaining: http://www.hbv.org
  see also: http://www.verdi-net.de