priorart

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 11 12:31:15 UTC 2001

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 02:23:21PM +0200, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> Any thoughts, flames, suggestions?

Check out the write-up from lwn being skeptical, too.
All in all it is a complicated matter I agree with skepticism
on the initiative of priorart.org.

http://lwn.net/2001/0510/
| In the end, however, this is all defensive action, based on the idea
| that the patent system is really OK, the only problem is that
| insufficient information is available to patent examiners. If you
| believe that the real problem is in the concept of software patents
| to begin with, these approaches will seem inadequate. Wouldn't it be
| better if we could fix the patent laws, and prevent software patents
| from being implemented where they do not yet exist?

Disclaimer: I value lwn as a nice publication which really
understands a lot Free Software issues. IMO they should also
indicate this in being more clear in the language they use,
which I pointed out to them a couple of times already.

	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)