Logo timeline

Reinhard Müller reinhard.mueller at bytewise.at
Thu May 10 14:00:23 UTC 2001

josX wrote:
> Klaus Schilling wrote:
> > John Tapsell writes:
> >  > On Thu, 10 May 2001, you wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > > On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:56:24AM +0200, Stefan Meretz wrote:
> >  > > > Is there a copyleft license preventing from making money with free
> >  > > > software?
> >  > >
> >  > > No.
> >  > >
> >  > But you can always write one :)
> >
> > No, you can't, because the software would not be free if its license
> > prevented that.
>
> Let's do it.
>
> Draft:
>
> This material is hereby released to the public.  It is not allowed to
> be profitting from this material by selling it's use or the material
[...]
If Apache had this licence, could I take money for website hosting?
If gcc had this licence, could I ever take money for any program I
write?
If people liked the program, how would I afford to burn as many cd's as
people want? How would I afford to buy webspace to let others download
the program?
Would I have to write proprietary closed-source software to earn the
money I need for this "hobby"?
--
Reinhard Müller
BYTEWISE Software GmbH