FSF->beards(); FSF->female_participants();

Kim Bruning (seperate for lists) kim2 at bruning.demon.nl
Thu May 10 14:35:32 UTC 2001

I made a mistake earlier by making a sweeping generalistion (oops). I
should know better,and have written better. My apologies for this.

On Thu, 10 May 2001, karin kosina wrote:

> Judging from my experience, the reason why there are so few women
> working in technical professions (and that includes, of course,
> programming) is that we are conditioned into thinking that this is man's
> stuff...

I think that this is what I've been seeing when I talk with people on this
subject. *Especially* when those people were women.

Try it sometime. Ask some random people "Should there be more female
programmers?".

Pay attention to how people answer. Especially somewhat older women.

So how do we fix it?

Well, apparently lots of people have this perception that women only like
to do things that contain lots of <insert your favorite sweeping
generalisation of the day>.

So what's wrong with subverting these perceptions to our own goal? ;-)

read you soon,
	Kim Bruning

I'm not evil, just ... differently motivated!