Logo timeline

Kim Bruning (seperate for lists) kim2 at bruning.demon.nl
Thu May 10 09:41:24 UTC 2001

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Stefan Meretz wrote:

> Is there a copyleft license preventing from making money with free
> software?

To the best of my recollection: No.

Nothing stops you from selling your own code under the GPL to a company
for 10 000 Euro (actually this might be wildly successful at that).

You may not actually *re*sell GPLed code iirc, but you may offer to
warrenty it at any price. [1]

The licences for most free software are (summarised) [2]:

BSDlike: This software is Free! Do with it what you like, just don't sue
me, OK?

GPL: I'll show you my source if you'll show me yours, oh, and don't sue
me.

LGPL: I'll see your GPL, and up you a library. (Disclaimer: The LGPL is a
tad different from the GPL, so you should read it throughly[3])

Artistic: Actually we crossed a GPL with an LGPL and here's the result.
(Don't tell Larry Wall I said that!)

hope this is useful,
	Kim Bruning

[1] " You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy,
and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a
fee." - GNU GPLv.2, Article 1, 2nd paragraph.

[2] www.opensource.org,  good source for licences. *ducks*

[3]  "This license is quite different from the ordinary
one; be sure to read it in full, and don't assume that anything in it is
the same as in the ordinary license." GNU LGPL v.2, preamble, 9th
paragraph.