Logo timeline

Georg C. F. Greve greve at gnu.org
Wed May 9 08:48:13 UTC 2001

 || On 09 May 2001 08:48:07 +0100
 || João Miguel Neves <jneves at ieee.org> wrote:

 >> Up to now a couple of logos have been ruled out so far by members
 >> of the core team who feel strongly about not choosing such a logo:

 jmn> I think you've just made a political error: you've ruled out
 jmn> this logos without any justification (at least in the view of
 jmn> anybody that didn't went to the meeting). Could you please
 jmn> correct that ?

Okay, let me try.

One part was always personal taste. We feel we cannot use anything
that one FSFE member feels totally unhappy about since they need to
live with it more than anyone else.

This is essentially what ruled out the new GNU logo Loic had a
designer do.

Other crucial points (essentially raised about Anja drafts) were:

 - A logo is a symbol for a organization/company/initiative.

   When selecting a logo, it is important to chose something fresh
   that will get associated with you.

   Both the "bridge metaphor" and the "Europa on the bull" themes have
   been used a million times by so many people that people will
   associate all kinds of things with it but _not_ the FSF Europe
   (unless they were subscribed to this list).

   They are "used up" and only people building bridges or
   organizations dealing with ancient European myths could truly use
   them.

 - In order to be able to get free software in the press and make sure
   the legal systems will be in favor of free software instead of
   making free software illegal because they weren't aware of it, we
   need to work with politicians and the press.

   This requires a logo that will look professional to politicians &
   the press.

The FSF Europe has the vision to not just hack a few lines of code
today, we want to fundamentally change things and make sure free
software will prosper on the long-term scale. This requires thinking
in 30-year perspectives.

Regards,
                Georg

--