Problem receiving list email: timeout waiting for input

J M Cerqueira Esteves jmce at artenumerica.com
Sat May 5 11:10:17 UTC 2001

Greetings

I have been mostly unable to receive email from the FSF Europe
Discussion list, and maybe this is happening to others as well.  I get
lots of entries like

 timeout waiting for input from mail-ffm-p.arcor-ip.de during message collect

on the machine receiving email.

Eventually we get  30 (=MaxDaemonChildren) open sendmail connections,
and sendmail stops accepting other connections.  This is now happening
several times per day.  A few days ago, I contacted postmaster at mail.arcor-ip.de
about this but received no reply (perhaps because of the same problem :) ).

Following a suggestion in
  http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.10
I added
  define(`confTO_IDENT',`0s')dnl
to our sendmail.mc and some mail from the list arrived, but I now
assume there was some coincidence (either that or the postmaster
took some temporary corrective measure), since things are now as before.
Anyway, I noticed that our IDENT timeout before was just 30s...

I still believe that there may be some problem on the sending side.  This has
never happened to us with email from other sources, as far as I know.
Could it be some firewall in there, maybe something related to "path MTU
discovery" as discussed in
 http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.10 ?

I found this at Google Groups, in thread
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=14f485307e78d8ff,3&seekm=fNcq4.45623%24ox5.11953350%40tw11.nn.bcandid.com#p